Saturday, February 27, 2010

Can I coat the outside of a terra cotta pot with spray paint or is bad for the plant I'm going to put in?

If not, what can I use? The more affordable the better. I want to paint at least 10- 6'; pots.Can I coat the outside of a terra cotta pot with spray paint or is bad for the plant I'm going to put in?
You can coat the outside of you pot with any color you so desire. I would use an acrylic paint but first you must sand away any rough spots or loose clay particles on the rim, bottom edge, and outside of the pot.





Since you are using them for planting, seal the INSIDE with oil or water based polyurethane-2-3 coats-let dry. Either of these will work but oil based polyurethane will last longer. This will prevent any of your exterior paint from seeping its way into the soil.





It may have an impact on the breathing of the pot. However I have done this with little or no impact. I would try one pot first before doing a great quantitiy of potsCan I coat the outside of a terra cotta pot with spray paint or is bad for the plant I'm going to put in?
I don't think it's going to hurt the plants any, but you might have trouble getting the paint to stay on. Terra cotta pots ';breathe'; and let moisture out, so I'd be worried the paint might tend to peel off during use. I don't know how you'd find out unless you tried this, though.
I have never painted one personally but it should not affect the plant. Just don麓t paint the inside and don麓t expect the paint to last since terra cotta is porous and absorbs water.
I have painted several but what I do first is paint the inside with rescue 911 which is a waterproofing and comes in either white or black. you can make some very Beautiful pots if you take the time to paint design es
It want hurt the plant but it will not let the pot breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment