Thursday, February 25, 2010

I am hand painting murals on aderandac chairs. I am Using exterior latex paint. what clear top coat can i use?

I hear you should not polyurathane over exterior paint. But I need something that will keep it from chipping and not yellow the paint. Thanks in advanceI am hand painting murals on aderandac chairs. I am Using exterior latex paint. what clear top coat can i use?
A water-based poly that is rated for exterior use (read: UV protection) would be the fastest match for a latex base coat. With water based polys, the coats are thinner, so more coats arte needed..





This will work well, but has an amber cast..


http://www.ugl.com/prpolyur.html





A marine spar urethane can be used over the latex, if it has dried long enough.. 3 weeks of low humidity, warm temperatures.


http://www.minwax.com/products/protectiv鈥?/a>I am hand painting murals on aderandac chairs. I am Using exterior latex paint. what clear top coat can i use?
You will need to get some advice from a paint store. Assuming the chairs are going outdoors, the material I would recommend is spar varnish. Most products break down in the UV light. Exterior polyurethanes tend to crack as they are brittle when cured . The expansion %26amp; contraction which occurs with wood will cause it to break down quickly. Spar varnise is a more flexible material and resists this problem well., however it does have a slight amber tint to it.





There might be a waterbased material you could use. These materials are usually crystal clear, but I am not personally familiar with any that could be used outdoors.
I think you can put Verathane over that. You can get it at any hardware store or Depot.





I think that's Adarondack chairs, like the Adarondack Mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment