Saturday, February 27, 2010

Do I need to sand after the first coat of paint (repainting furniture)?

This is kind of a follow up question :] I'm repainting my night table, and I'm on the first coat of paint.





My question is, should I sand again before applying the second coat?





Thanks in advance!! :]Do I need to sand after the first coat of paint (repainting furniture)?
A light sanding with fine grade sand paper will give youa 'key' for the second coat to grip. (Can also even out any uneven spots on original coat)Do I need to sand after the first coat of paint (repainting furniture)?
Klarissa;


Use #400 grit paper on this, then wipe it down with mineral spirits. The spirits will give it a wet look that you can proof the subsequent finishes look and determine if there are any flaws remaining you want to remedy. Once the spirits evaporates and dries, wipe down the piece with a tack cloth and then apply your second coat.





If you're going to urethane this #800 or #1000 grit the second/final coat and then tack cloth it before applying the urethane. This will provide good adhesion of the urethane, clean the final coat of paint of imperfections, and give you a terrific finish.





Mike Lonergan


TradesProfessional, Inc.


http://tradesprofessional.com
It isn't necessary, but a very light sanding will improve the end result.
  • windows vista
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment