Saturday, February 27, 2010

How can i paint linoleum floors the easiest and least expensive way? I want to avoid coat after coat.?

I heard about tile clad paint from sherwin williams is that the best way to go?How can i paint linoleum floors the easiest and least expensive way? I want to avoid coat after coat.?
I was a painting contractor for 10 years, with 15 years in the business, and I have never heard or thought of painting linoleum.





If I were to do it, i would clean it with a solvent like acetone, then soap and water, and let dry. If they have a primer made for it, use it. Sherwin Williams makes great products. If nothing is specified for it, use XIM primer. Then use a floor paint top coat. You will most likely need 2 coats of the top coat paint, and 1 coat of the primer.





----





If you really want to protect your floor paint, I just used a great top clear coat product you can order from sherwin williams called 'showroom finish'. It is made by the makers of 'seal krete'.





I used this over a faux tile floor on concrete I did, and could not be happier.How can i paint linoleum floors the easiest and least expensive way? I want to avoid coat after coat.?
From what I could discern, tile clad paint is for industrial use on steel or concrete surfaces. For a floor, I believe you would need a high-gloss acrylic paint. You should consult a knowledgeable person in any paint department to be sure it is even feasible to paint over linoleum.
umm i do apartment maintenance and i would never think of painting linoleum it woul just peel or rub of in days from what i know about paint
Don't do it at all. If you really want to change to color of your floor, rip out the old linoleum and either put in a different style, or put in another type of floor. Its really not that expensive and it will last a hell of alot longer (cost efficiency).
What he said





DO NOT PAINT LINOLEUM!





Pull it up, clean the floor well and apply new linoleum. It's not that expensive. Just do it!





By the way, you'll probably pay more for Tile Clad than you will new linoleum. You can buy some pretty cheap flooring at home centers, and you can cut it yourself to fit your floor. It's an easy weekend project.
I painted my kitchen linoleum and it turned out fine. I cleaned it, sanded it, cleaned it with TSP, put a coat of Zinsser Bins primer on it, painted it (then did some sponge painting on it), then put 4 coats of floor polyurethane on it. Re-did my whole floor for about $35. Go for it!!
Killz Paint makes a latex paint that should do the trick. Plus it will kill all mold and bateria if there is any pet ordor.
DO NOT PAINT LINOLEUM!


Pull it up, clean the floor well and apply new linoleum. It's not that expensive. Just do it!
I have never known anyone that had good luck with painting linoleum. The paint just does not last in the high traffic areas of the room. I would spend the extra $$$ and tile or lay new linoleum, you'd be surprised how cheap it can be, and you won't have to keep repainting!
First of All, it is not Linoleum, its Vinyl tiles - unless it is 90 years old. Use a wax stripper not Acetone or any other chemical like that- in particular don't use Lacquer thinner of anything like that - it will desolve the tile. Once cleaned of any wax and dirt, best bet is an Epoxy Paint. It does have to wear some don't you think if your walking on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment