Sunday, February 21, 2010

How can I make my flat kitchen paint srubbable without repainting the color? (Add a coat of sealent?)?

We just purchased a new home and the painter used flat paint on our kitchen's backsplash. Now he wants to charge us $300 to paint it again in high gloss so I can easily wash off spaghetti sauce splatters. I am looking for a product that we can paint ontop of our beautiful green color that will allow me to wash it. Any ideas?How can I make my flat kitchen paint srubbable without repainting the color? (Add a coat of sealent?)?
Yes, you can put a sealant on it... But you should use an oil-based sealer. I suggest you use a satin finish and not a high gloss finish and use 2 coats. The satin finish is just as easy to wash and looks much classier.





Tell the painter to take a hike!How can I make my flat kitchen paint srubbable without repainting the color? (Add a coat of sealent?)?
Your painter screwed up. If he had been a true professional he would have known not to use flat paint in a wet area. Any reputable painter or paint distributor would tell you this.





You got ripped off. It needs repainted. Sorry.
Gotcha on this on. We painted our bedroom with Porter paint. It is a 2 part paint and it isn't cheap. It has Teflon in it and washes great. It has been up there for 10 years or better and it looks brand new.


we painted it a forrest green.


You paint a base coat on and let it dry for 24 hrs. You'll think this isn't the color that I picked. Then the next day, you put the top coat on and POW it looks great and very easy to clean.
There is a protective coat you can use, they make it to put over faux finishes. It comes in Flat, Satin, and Gloss. I know Lowe's carries it in their paint department you can get it in gallon and quart sizes. Why on earth did your painter put flat in a kitchen in the first place!?!? They sell a Flat Enamel paint too so you can have the durability and scrubbability but not the sheen. The brand or the protective coat is called American Tradition (Valspar). And both Valspar/American Tradition and Olympic make the Flat Enamel. Hope this helps! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment