Sunday, February 21, 2010

I tried faux marbling a firplace mantle and the oil based paint did not adhere to my base coat.?

My base coat was a latex semi-gloss? Does the base coat need to be oil based as well?I tried faux marbling a firplace mantle and the oil based paint did not adhere to my base coat.?
There is no reason why you have to use oil based products. There are many lines of faux products which are all water based.





Just as the user above my post said, latex and oil do not work together.





Adicolor makes 2 water based glaze products. One is called Glacis' and it's interior/exterior. It is the product we use for marbleized effects. Assuming you're using glaze products....








Have you checked your area for faux classes? They could teach you the steps for faux finshing and save you the headaches of problem solving.I tried faux marbling a firplace mantle and the oil based paint did not adhere to my base coat.?
Yes , it would help, the problem also lies within the fact that the semi-gloss is a smooth surface so the new paint has less to 'grab' onto. I would recommend using a oil base primer, or flat low luster base coat. Also wondering why you feel necessary to use oil in the first place, it is not necessary to achieve faux effect. Benjamin Moore makes a good acrylic based enamel called IronClad that would give good results. Hope this helps.
Latex and oil base doesn't mix. You'll have to use all oil or latex.


Get some primer, Prime the area then you should be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment