Thursday, February 18, 2010

Can I iron an image using transfer paper onto a canvas that has a base coat of acrylic paint?

I'm new to acrylics and i'm attempting a mixed media piece in which I would like to place a photographic image that i have printed onto transfer paper (the kind you can get for printing images onto t-shirts) onto a canvas. I'm slightly worried that I have created a base layer of acrylic paint that may melt if I use an iron on it? Does anyone have any experience of this?Can I iron an image using transfer paper onto a canvas that has a base coat of acrylic paint?
Mmm, I don't think that would work. Usually transfers need to be applied directly to fabric. Your paint will melt if you put a hot iron over it. Is there a way you could maybe iron your picture on to a plain piece of fabric and then attach it to the canvas? That way you wouldn't have to worry about melting the acrylic paint and it would add an extra element to your mixed media piece.Can I iron an image using transfer paper onto a canvas that has a base coat of acrylic paint?
Acrylics will not withstand high or low temperatures.


There are high temperature acrylics, but I doubt you used that one.


Revise your project with adequate materials.


Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment