Thursday, February 18, 2010

Can I use an oil Primer Paint as my finish coat for an outside shed?

I scraped the flaking paint off the shed and painted on one coat of an oil based primer. It looks good and I am feeling lazy. Is there any danger of not putting on a finish coat of paint?Can I use an oil Primer Paint as my finish coat for an outside shed?
The porosity of primer is there and it is meant to be pourous and rough so that paint will adhere to it.





Your one coat oil certainly will seal up the surface about 1/2 way that is needed to protect against the weater, that is if you leave off the finish coat.





The biggest problem is that primer will gather dirt and dust and does not have the pigment materials and boding agents that are in paint which when done, leave a smooth clean surface.





I have painted the trim on my house which is very high on the second floor and avove with Sherwin Williams paint that is warranteed for 30 years. And after 10 years it still looks good because of the pigments and bonders that are in the paint. I dont advise this $50 a gallon or more paint, just an example of the importance of top coat paint.Can I use an oil Primer Paint as my finish coat for an outside shed?
No Danger. It may not hold up as long as if you put another coat on, but if it looks good and it seems to be sealed then it should be okay.
no it will disappear as at the paint store
it needs to be covered with in two weeks after that the fatty acids start coming out and you have to go over the prep work again power washing included
USA Danger? No. But, primer is primer. It is meant to be covered. I am not sure what will happen to it being exposed to UV rays. Exterior paint is formulated to withstand weather and UV - primer probably does not have the same formulation. But, let it go and watch it. If it shows signs of weathering or deterioration, paint over it immediately.
BAD IDEA!! Not only will it not completely seal the surface it will break down prematurely in direct sunlight. The oil in most oil based paints and primers is linseed oil. The perfect food for mold, mildew and fungus. If you want to save yourself some real work later, paint it now!! ( I have 20 years experience selling and applying paint) If you really want to save some labor in the future use good paint. Use something like PPG's Manor Hall or Sherwin Williams SuperPaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment